19th March 2018 – A reminder:
All Year 11 are to complete their Easter PiXL revision pack, pages 1-19.
All multiply choice questions on papers 1 and 2 are to be completed for your first lesson back after the Easter holidays.
See your Philosophy and Ethics teachers for more details.
Year 11 Philosophy and Ethics students, here are additional resources to support you with your revision and preparation for paper 1 and paper 2 next week.
You can visit the AQA website and look at example papers and mark schemes using the following link:
Also, please ensure you read the following key information for key exam techniques and you are aware of what time needs to be spent on which exam questions:
12 mark exam question practice on Themes A, B, D and E. Use the proforma to ensure for each 12 mark exam question you apply DREARER x3 on both sides of your argument. Remember for the Themes paper, the other side of the argument can be a non-religious argument but you MUST ensure you always give 3 reasons and each need to be explained on both sides of your argument to achieve more than 6 marks out of 12.
Theme A. Family: ‘Divorce is never right’. Discuss
Theme B. Life: ‘It is not reasonable to believe in life after death’. Discuss
Theme D. War: ‘War is never right’. Discuss
Theme E. Crime: ‘Corporal punishment can never be justified’. Discuss
These questions are taken from the example paper on the AQA website so you can cross reference and check your responses in line with the mark scheme, using the link above.
A final reminder of what you are going to be examined on next week and for your external exams.
Year 11 Philosophy and Ethics students, here are two key word lists with definitions for both Christianity and Islam. Ensure you apply these to all exam questions to support your AO1 skills (Knowledge and Understanding).
Year 11 Philosophy and Ethics – A great free app which gives a range of definitions for all key words for both Paper 1 and Paper 2.
Download today to support your revision.
Year 11 Philosophy and Ethics resources to support your revision and preparation for the PPE’s next week.
A range of videos from The BBC on key Philosophical and Ethical topics for both Paper 1 (Christianity and Islam) and Paper 2 (Theme A.B, D and E)
Philosophy and Ethics Week 4 Quiz
- Identify the 5 pillars of Islam (1 mark)
- What does the Shahadah state? (1 mark)
- What is meant by the term ‘jihad?’(1 mark)
- Which festival takes place at the end of Ramadan (1 mark) 5.)
- What is celebrated at the end of Ashura? (1 mark)
Philosophy and Ethics Week 3 Quiz
- Which beliefs belong to Sunni and which belong to Shi’a muslims?The five roots of ‘Usul-ad-Din, The six article of faith (1 mark)
- What is the role of angel Israfil?(1 mark)
- Identify two reasons why Muhammad was chosen as the Prophet(1 mark)
- Define the term Tawhid (1 mark)
- Identify one thing Muslims believe about life after death (1 mark)
Philosophy and Ethics Week 2 Quiz
- Identify the two different types of Christian worship (1 mark)
- Identify the two different types of Christian baptism (1 mark)
- Give two reasons why Christians may take holy communion (1 mark)
- Define the term evangelism (1 mark)
- Explain the role of the church in the community (1 mark)
Philosophy and Ethics Week 1 Quiz
- What does transcendent and immanent mean? (1 mark)
- What Christian belief does the Nicene Creed express about God? (1 mark)
- What do Fundamental and liberal Christians believe about creation? (1 mark)
- Define the term salvation (1 mark)
- Explain one Christian belief why Jesus was crucified (1 mark)
Year 11 Philosophy and Ethics February half term revision pack 1. This includes all the information you will need for paper 1: Religious beliefs and practices (Christianity and Islam).
Complete a revision PIE for each of the following topics:
These 4 PIES will be due in for your first Philosophy and Ethics lesson back after half term.
Year 11 Philosophy and Ethics February half term revision pack 2. This includes all the information you will need for paper 2: Thematic Studies .
Complete a revision QUIZ for each of the following topics:
For the year 11 Philosophy and Ethics PPE, the department have published new resources. These cover both religions in depth and focus on both beliefs and practice. Remember you will also be expected to complete 12 mark evaluation questions on both Christianity and Islam.
See your Philosophy and Ethics teacher for more details.